We have been having a great time with my parents in town. Last week we toured around a bit and did a day at Eric's work. My parents saw the UN buildings and had lunch with Eric while I went to German class on Friday.
We watched some of Sound of Music on Friday night before hitting the train on Saturday morning to Salzburg. We lucked out with unbelievable weather --- low 60's and clear, so the town and the Alps were beautiful. Saturday we had two great German meals (yum!) and in between did a ton of walking. Churches, fortresses, walking paths, shopping streets etc... Not only were our meals great, but the wait staff at both restaurants were particularly nice and fun which made it fun to try our German out a bunch. I think it was fun for my parents to see us using the bit of German we know and understanding quite a bit more than I think we thought we could (once people slow down and probably dumb down what they are saying!) Also fun was them hearing Evan... he is really doing so well with German and I may know 60% of what he knows as far as vocabulary - but he can use it about 100 times faster than I can. He comes up with the vocab so quickly and his sentence structure skills crush mine right now. So fun to hear!!
After a great hotel breakfast (Do I write about food a lot?!) we were off to the Original Sound of Music Tour!!! This is a 4 hour tour on a big bus painted with the movie scenes on the side. There were tons of stops and we saw great places and learned MUCH more about the movie and the history of the movie and the history of the VonTrapps. (probably more than I needed to know!) The tour guide was very good.... but I could barely look at Eric when she would come down the aisles singing the songs. Just picture his face. Think about what one would be like to be a tour guide on this tour and than times that image by 10 and you will get our guide. She was actually very good!
The best part was they take you to the little lake country/mountain town outside of Salzburg where the church is that they got married in. This is a beautiful town and we had a little over an hour to see the church, have some strudel, take in the beauty etc... The scenery was breathtaking and we were so lucky to have good weather so see all the mountains etc...
We were planning on Prague next weekend, but I just looked and the train ride may be too long to tackle that this weekend so we may change to an overnight in Budapest. We'll see. Vienna sightseeing continues tomorrow!
The house is quiet but a ticking clock (which has real numbers -- have I told you how much 24 hour time/military time/European time irritates me?! If not, that can be another days blog!) everyone is in bed now....I'm headed there now.
No comments:
Post a Comment