Bloom Where You Are Planted!!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Wow.... Juni is here!




If anyone is even reading this anymore, I think I lost you for lack of updates. If you have perservered, thank you for checking back! :)

Like most families, it has been a busy spring for all I am sure.

I will try to hit the highlights!

Eric's sister Christy and her family moved to Germany (near Frankfurt) with the Air Force. We were able to meet up with them in Garmische, Germany - about in between for all of us. This is an incredibly beautiful town and area with an Army base. We were able to stay in VERY cute cozy cabins for 2 nights at a great price due to the Milners military status. YEAH! Garmishe is in the beautiful Alps, only about 35 minutes from Innsbruck. The kids had a blast together. We took a day trip drive to the Castle that inspired Walt Disney (first picture is taken there)

Pathetically, a huge highlight for us was going into their small commissary grocery store with Christy. The kids and I were so excited about some of the American (mostly junk) food that we had missed. I think I ate 2 bags of Peppermint Patties on the way home. (gross I know!) A great time had by all!

The kids had their spring concert, which was such a highlight. As I have said before, the music teacher at AIS is unbelievable! The concerts are so beautifully done with each grade singing (and doing moves!) to about 4-5 songs. I don't know how she does it. So cute! Another musical endeavor was Evan having a wonderful opportunity with his 4th grade class to sing at the Hofburg Palace. They sang 3 beautiful songs for the opening ceremonies of a big science and technology international conference on the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization. Much to my dismay, we couldn't get in to see them sing, but we were lucky they had a live feed so we could watch it over the internet from home. Phew! :)

The kids are excited to wrap up the school year on Friday. We have had some highs and some serious lows. I am excited for summer too. I pray that the lessons learned this year continue to stregthen our character, experiences, faith and family. I also hope we have less lessons next year! HEE HEE!

Sorry, too tired to turn the picture - this is the kids picking out 10 books each from the library with their summer reading program. Let's place bets for how many we misplace this summer.

Another HIGHLIGHT since I last wrote was the visit to Vienna of my very great friend, Tonia Kostorowski. Most that read this know T, but if you don't - she is from our home town and also took in our wonderful dog Mia to love as one of their own. We had a GREAT TIME. I was so impressed with Tonia - she didn't slow down AT ALL - no rest for the weary!! After landing on Sunday, we drove to Venice on Monday. The 3rd pic is us on the Gondola ride. We couldn't stop laughing cuz we kept saying "Can you take a picture of us for our husbands" - not that there is anything wrong with that! (Seinfeld) On Wednesday we left Venice and drove back VIA Salzburg (which is not on the way! :)) and did a quick 3 hour tour there before arriving back in Vienna at midnight. DIdn't stop there - NON stop touring and hanging out all over Vienna all the way through Monday night. Thanks to Dave, T's parents and her great kids for making that trip possible!!

Tonia left Tuesday and Christy and her kids arrived Wednesday. We have been having a great time with them too! We did a playground on TH and the zoo on Friday. More park time and hanging out today and they head home tomorrow. We will see them in Idaho next month and we are SO thankful to have family in Europe with us. What a huge blessing.

Next guests.... 2 college kiddos from our church back home are backpacking through Europe and making a stop here for a few nights beginning Monday. I am so excited to hear about their adventures. I always wanted to do this but never did! I hope to spend a little time with them, but will leave their itinery totally up to them. At the very least I may start them out one night at a fun restaurant and then take my old butt home at a decent hour and they can stay out! :)

Eric is doing well. His job is good and he bikes to and from work most days, which he loves. He is a master at German now and leaving me in the dust! Not unexpected! We are both finishing up German 2 in the next week. I have some serious studying to do as I missed 3 classes in a row with some hard information. Eric is planning to tutor me this week! :) I don't think I have much of a chance to pass this level... it got really hard for me, really fast. I do like that I can move around town fine now, restaurants are fine, grocery etc... I really need to put some more time in if I am to take myself to the next level. There always seems to be so many things vying for my time though. We'll see!

We are trying to squeeze in one more trip/Country before leaving on the 30th for the USA. I think we will head to the Croatian Coast on Saturday for a few days. We will drive through Slovenia on the way so that will bring us to 8 countries so far since we moved here. I may take a drive to Slovakia (45 minutes) just to get one more in! (it is like a game for me hee hee!) Austria, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovania, Croatia. So when my children need counseling into their adult lives for their parents ripping them from their roots and "ruining their lives" - I will remember our trips with great fondness. Ha ha!

Hope to see some of you very soon!!

1 comment: