Bloom Where You Are Planted!!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Happy Birthday

Evan just told me the "BEST" thing happened at class today. It was the first birthday of the class and they sang to the girl in German and English. Then any other kids with a different native tongue could sing happy birthday... get this, they heard it in: Hebrew, Korean, French, Dutch, Swedish, and Russion. Isn't this cool?! Those are the stories that make all the pain of moving feel a bit better! :)

So, our stuff arrived on Monday - SO FUN! We actually were pleased with how much we brought/didn't bring - I think we didn't overpack and bring too much, which is great. We still have a lot of unpacking to do and organizing to figure out (no closets is quite difficult)...but all is really great. They were done by noon and we had unpacked most boxes by 3pm. A lot to be put away still...but most unpacked. Eric directed the guys to keep the garage stuff down in the garage, which was very helpful so we didn't have to haul things back down the 3 flights of stairs.

Julia was THRILLED to have her 'stuff'...she just loves her craft stuff, school playing stuff, doll clothes, her bed, blankets, etc... SO CUTE! Evan has had a soccer ball and his bed, seemingly all he needs. :) But he was still excited to see some of his memorabilia that he packed.

Eric and I layed in a real bed for the first time in about 7 weeks! He bounced up and down and said "LOOK, I'm moving and you aren't!" You know when you are on an air matress and if one person rolls the other persons moves too - it sucks! Needless to say we have been sleeping MUCH better.

As if that wasn't enough excitement, we will probably get our car on Friday or Saturday. Aside from the school commute, I do love public transportation - but I am PUMPED for the car.

A 'normal' Mommy busy day like today was made extremely crazy without a car. Julia's teacher is leaving on maternity leave today so we had a baby shower for her with the kids. For some dumb reason I volunteered to bring "American cupcakes" (which people love here -- you know - duncan hines box ones with canned frosting that I get at the commissary)

So on Monday I am digging through the kitchen boxes to find my cupcake tin and liners. Then Tuesday I decide I should really try to find sprinkles (not so easy in Vienna :)) So of course it is raining this morning... off we go DOWN the hill for 10 minutes, 15 min on public bus and 10 minutes up the hill to school....carrying box of cupcakes with foil on it. Did I mention that I had to make a stop off of the bus yesterday at the grocery store to find a flat carrying box for the cupcakes!

Of course I have to bring my 3 tiered cupcake holder from crate and barrel too - right?! Who would display cupcakes in a box?! hee hee

So after I drop off cupcakes I take 50 minutes of bus and subway to get to my crossfit gym because along with my muffin tin I unpacked my scale. Holy crap!

So I shower there after the workout and take a tram and subway to the UN for my German class. I then race out of there and hail a cab to the kids school so I could get there by the baby shower. (2 subways and a bus would have had me at the school too late)

I then take Evan down the hill and on the bus after school to soccer practice. Julia stays at school for gymnastics. I then hop back on the bus to pick Julia up and then we get back on the bus to pick up Evan. Then the final walk up the hill back to our place.

All I can say is that even with the scale, after that day, I ate the last three cupcakes that were left here!

Did I tell you I was excited about a car? :)

Love to all, Jenn

3 comments:

  1. You are such an awesome Mom! I am tired just reading what you did! You deserve a driver :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome experience for Evan and all of the kids in his class! I would have loved to have heard that!

    Glad you got your stuff and another piece of home. Enjoy it and your new car :)

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl!! Super mom, isnt' it? You did make tired just reading all of that (and it made me smile, too). Glad to hear all is going well. We have book fair coming up and it is complicated with Mrs. Connor's published book, Houdini Was. Would you like me to get you a copy? Let me know. I'll miss your helpfulness at book fair. Take care, Annamaria

    ReplyDelete