Bloom Where You Are Planted!!

Monday, October 11, 2010

The Hoff is Back

Got a notice in my mailbox today so I began the "Google Translate" process to figure out what it was saying. These kinds of things are interesting some days, tedius others. (Is that how to spell tedius?!) Anyway, turns out I have to be home at a certain time to let the dude in the buidling to do the meter reading. Another water reading guy comes tomorrow - they are putting a damper in my exploration time this week!

We are having a Halloween party at our school on Friday night. I think it will be fun for the kids. They do a trunk or treat and then a bunch of games. Why is it on Oct 15 you ask? Well, Hallween isn't really celebrated in Austria - although I have heard you can trick or treat up by the school on the 31st as so many Americans live up there. But our Oct break is Oct 23-Nov 1.... so Halloween Party on the 15th it is! There are some halloween things in stores etc.. so I wonder if they are just catering to Expats? I will have to ask an Austrian this one.

P.S. If you know me well, you can imagine how bummed I am to find out that they have NO CANDY CORN HERE!?! Are you kidding me? I would drive to another country at this point if I could get some.... my Mom is going to bring some bags for me - yeah! I am also shopping on line and my parents are bringing a bunch of other stuff too. I.e. Contact lense solution - $10 a bottle here! OMG!

Current big vacation travel plans: We are headed to see Northern Italy for this break. We will do our ski week in the Austrian Alps (western Austria near the Italian border). I think we are going to do Spain for Spring Break. I am hoping to squeeze something in over Christmas break too - even if it is just the kids and I as they have 3 weeks off. We'll keep you posted. There are actually SOOO many places we want to see and only so many "week" long vacations and only so much money - so this process should be interesting. I have made a list of places I would like to see and it is REALLY long and unrealistic. Dreaming big at this point.

I am still in my German class three times per week, 50 min per class. It is a nice class and I think I am learning a bit. I don't really care for the teacher that much - I think she could prepare for class better and give us even more information. Surprise surprise, Jenn has too high of expectations of others. (a little issue I work on) I enjoy trying to learn the language. I discovered today that if everyone had the vocabulary of a 4 year old, repeated everything 3 times, and spoke very slowly and clearly, I could pick up about 75% of what they are saying! Pretty good, huh? LOL

I am trying to get to Crossfit at least 3x per week. Not always easy with everyone's schedule and the class schedule at the gym - but trying. Today I hiked the Wiener Wald (HUGE wooded area here that goes on for miles and miles and miles) for my work out - the trees are changing, the sun is out and it is beautiful. Only thing missing? My hiking/running/walking buddy - MIA! I miss my dog so much during those kinds of times. Although I know she is better off at Tonia's house (getting spoiled, having a yard, not being alone a lot, etc...) so I am so glad and eternally grateful to the Kostorowski family!!

I am pumped my parents are coming to visit on Nov 4th for a few weeks. I am thinking of all the things we will see and it will be so fun! We are also planning 2 weekend trips - Prague and Salzburg. That will be fun!

So there are a lot of music concerts that come here and I keep seeing signage for them... i.e. Train (Tonia!), Maroon 5 (Tracey!), Sting, etc... Well I called my friend Kara today and said I have the concert for us!!! I saw a sign that said:

The Hoff is Back! David Hasselhoff in concert. Are you kidding me? Was he ever 'here' that he is 'back'!? I'm still laughing....

Talk soon!

3 comments:

  1. WHAT??!!! You're not excited about The Hoff??? I just can't understand why :) Really, though, I understand he is quite big in Europe. Nikki says they love him there. Why that is the case I will never understand!

    Here's to as many great trips as you can possibly take...and to candy corn in your future!

    Love to all...
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that your parents will be there soon. Amazing trips planned! Priceless memories! Hope you get your candy corn fix soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoff rocks...not! I watched a utube video of him performing in Europe and laughed so hard I peed! Just caught up on these last two blogs...sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete