Should be studying for my German Final Exam (German 1) right now as it is in one hour, but I figure if I don't have it by now, I'm not getting it! Talk about pressure: I have to pass in order to move on to German 2. Yikes. I am enjoying the process of learning another language although it is fairly difficult for me.
We had a wonderful weekend. Drove up to Schladming on Friday and arrived at our Gasthof (kinda like a bed and breakfast type place). Eric has found some great Gasthofs and we feel they are the best way to go. They are owned by locals...nothing fancy, a bit more affordable usually. Biggest plus, you really feel like you have 'experienced' an area as you are among locals.
This one had a wonderful young couple with a 6 year old daughter that Julia became fast friends with. We had 2 breakfasts there and Saturday night dinner. We were able to use/try our German quite a bit as the couple was VERY nice and slowed down/used small grammar and we all had fun with it. (They could speak English which always helps when you get in a bind!) Julia and Evan also got to see the stables and all the animals (horses, rabbits, goats, ponies) so that was really fun. Kyia couldn't speak much English so Julia used her German and bit.
It is also a nice relaxed environment to meet other guests. Two people were from the Czech Republic and very friendly and nice to talk to. He brought out some Czech liquor at the end of the evening for everyone to try. He also told us he owns a Gasthof in Czech, so another place to visit where we now have 'friends' to show us around. Fun!
The Alps are amazing and we couldn't believe just 3 hours away we were in serious mountains... unbelievable. The skiing was like nothing we had seen before. This area has a bunch of mountains all linked together. In two days we only saw 2 of them - and not even in entire mountains. The kids are SO fun to watch ski, they are having a blast. They are SO much better than me and I am holding them all back a bit, so I break off and do my easy runs or go in for a coffee and then meet them again. That makes us all happy I think.
There was one area that had jumps and then a kids slalom (sp?) course... we spent a few hours here as the kids LOVED it. Oh, Eric loved the jumps too. I asked Julia how I was supposed to do those hills with all the bumps (kinda soft moguls at the end of the day) She said "Mom, you just go down and jump them all" Talk about daring!
The crazy part was the end of Saturday. The Austrians ski hard a few hours (like 10am-3pm) and then they begin to party. By the time we finished at 4pm the huts at the bottom of the hill were rockin'! People dancing, music playing, people doing shots of who knows what everywhere. We decided to join the party! The kids thought it was so funny and we were all dancing. Honestly they were all having so much fun too and this is just a 'normal' thing I think!
Am now finishing this Monday evening as I take a break from trying to find airline tickets back to the States this summer. (Geez Louise, someone is getting rich off those tickets!) Anyway.. took my exam and I am pretty sure I passed. 2nd 1/2 on Wed and then I find out my scores on Friday.
On to Tuesday....
No comments:
Post a Comment