Bloom Where You Are Planted!!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Checking In

Hi Everyone,

The kids and I are at a hotel down the street so we can buy an hour of internet. I can't believe there was a time we lived without internet... it is truely hard. Even not being able to look up the weather forecast, how to get somewhere with google maps, or translation websites to read a darn label here. Basically, it is making the transition a bit tougher I think. Anyway... we are managing the best we can.

The kids start school tomorrow...they are excited. Evan got Mr. Hunter (that is so cool he has a man teacher!) and Julia got Ms. Lexie (or something like that - I can't remember!) we are looking forward to meeting them tomorrow. We will take the public transportation to school until we get a car. It is actually pretty fun. (The kids don't like the walk home from the bus stop as it is steep up hill!)

We went to the Bellian's house for dinner last night and they had a few other people over too. It was really really fun to hang out with some other people...and they were all very nice, supportive, helpful etc.. The best part was that Julia met 7 year old Oliva and they became fast friends. It was great to see Julia dress up and have TONS of fun with other girls for a few hours. She needed that. Poor Evan was the only boy - BUT he enjoys 6th grader Louisa who is now fluent in German and plays the violin - both things Evan hopes to conquer here in Vienna. Good time had by all.

We went to IKEA on Friday.... 2,000 Euros later!!, we have a bunch of stuff that we have to put together. The delivery just came this am. YEAH! Honestly we got there at 11am and left at 6:30. Who has 2 meals at IKEA in one day? It was fun for awhile and not so much fun towards the end! :)

I am sorry we are so out of touch right now... I hate it. Parents: We will try to come here with our magic jack tonight and phone if we can. (Is that odd in a hotel lobby?:)!)

Sis/Aunt Sis - HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON WEDNESDAY -- We love you!!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to know you are doing well and surviving without internet for now...I can't imagine! Isn't it amazing what a neccessity it has become in our lives? I hope you're hooked up at home soon.

    Sounds like the Ikea trip was successful, if long. I sure you'll enjoy all of your stuff once you get it put together :) Wish I could help.

    So glad you got to spend an evening with other families and can't wait to hear about the new friends the kids (and you) will make through school in the coming weeks. What an adventure this will be :)

    Both Andrew and Aidan are starting at new schools this year - I wish they were in Vienna too! RHS for Andrew next Mon. for freshman-only day (can you believe he's a 6'2" freshman?) and CMS on Tuesday for Aidan. No more elementary school, which is quite a switch for this mom :( They are both excited, though, which makes it easier. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition for both.

    We'll be thinking of and praying for the kids and anxiously awaiting news of the first days of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there, fun to come home and read all your new adventures. You really should think about writing a book about your Austrian adventures! I am glad to hear you are in your new flat and unpacking. The shopping trip sounded like fun, but I am sure by the end it was tiring! Good luck, have fun unpacking. Let's skype again when your internet is up at home. Claire says hi to Julia! And I say Hi to you... missing you. At first it was like you were on vacation, but every day that goes by is getting a little bit longer.... like you should be home already!

    xoxo,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn-
    Don't they have iPhones over there to help you get around and be productive?
    So excited the kids will settle into a school routine and you can get some sense of new normal.

    SSS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Question Shelly - yes,... on a list for an IPHONE... they are out right now! But we can't get cell phones until Eric gets his 'legit' card and they see he works for the UN. Otherwise Austrian law makes you live here 3 m onths before a contract!! Hopefully by Friday

    ReplyDelete