Bloom Where You Are Planted!!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Home Sweet Home!

Julia was thrilled to unpack her American Girl doll stuff from the air shipment and DANCE away to loud music on the IPOD speaker... 2 of her fave past times.
Julia did most of the unpacking while i cleaned. She is so helpful!

This is just some of the wrapping and stuff. We put everything into the one room (I think our family room) until we can get organized a bit.


We laughed so hard when we brought all the cleaning stuff on the subway... Eric looked like he worked for Merry Maids :)!! We set Evan up with all the stuff for a photo op in our hotel room. He has wafers on his head... a European treat that we all can't stop eating.


view of the soccer fields at AIS (kid's school) from the playground.


The kids at a beautiful fountain. This is a memorial that the Russian's built for themselves to honor themselves for the help they lent to Austria in WWII. :) Lights change colors at night -- very pretty.


This is another beautiful church... we haven't been in it yet... so cool.




Hope you enjoy these pictures.
We got the keys to our new flat today --yeah. Perfect timing that we also received our air shipment. This has some essentials (we could ship 500lbs air)... sheets, towels, winter coats, clothes, american girl doll clothes, soccer equipment etc...
Julia unpacked most of the shipment while I cleaned the apartment a bit. She loves to do that sort of thing and also had a BLAST playing with her doll and clothes that arrived and dancing to the IPOD speaker thing.... loud as we have no neighbors yet! :)
Eric and Evan headed over to check out one of the local Austrian soccer clubs... where Evan did a practice with them for 1.5 hours. Eric said it went well...was very high level soccer with an excellent french coach speaking German and English. Apparently there was one kid giving Evan a hard time but he handled himself well. There were also kids being especially nice too. The mean kid was mocking Evan that he needed English instructions. Good thing I wasn't there or I would have boxed the kids ears. Hee hee
It is a bit different here soccer wise...so we need to figure it all out. But the age lines are January 1st... SO Evan misses the cutoff by 2 weeks so he needs to play with the U-11 kids and be the youngest. Hopefully this works out okay for him. The french coach (U10 coach) told Eric to be prepared fot he U11 coach, he is "Austrian and a bit rough in his coaching style/more yelling...Austrian style NOT American style" We'll try it out and another club. But this club is very near our flat which would be nice. I think Evan can handle it :)!!
We may be out of touch quite a bit because our flat will not have internet for a few weeks and we will have limited access to other internet sources. I will find hot spots etc... but won't be as good as I have been. Don't want you to worry :)! I am sure you will all like the rest from my daily blogs!!!
Kids had their assessment at school today. They did fine and seemed less nervous. School starts Tuesday and we find out their teachers on Friday...not that it matters as we know no one :)

Eric played softball and took Evan with him tonight so they had fun. Julia and I stayed and cleaned a bit and then she got to pick dinner tonight. Guess what she picked - YES - McDonalds. So off we headed to Micky D's and then back to the hotel for bed.

I will take more picture of flat soon. Our new address is:
Gregor Mendel Strasse 52/DG
A-1190 Wien (Vienna) Austria
Not that you will need it cuz it costs too much to send anything here...but just so you have it :)
Oh... posted Evan's monkey story and pictures below in next post.

4 comments:

  1. Super excited to hear about Evan's soccer experience. I hope he loves it and they are not to hard on him. Post lots of soccer pics!

    btw- thanks for the font/background change. Clouds are a nice touch, love it. Great work on the whole blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I google mapped this address and it does not come up. Let me know how I can pinpoint you.
    xo
    SSS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you have your new home and your stuff arrived! Have fun settling in. That is good to hear you have already got Evan signed up for soccer. The Smith family never misses a beat. Good luck with your busy week ahead. So what "size" are the cones in Vienna?
    CDYs

    (okay apparently we will post under Carson because he has a google acct and I don't)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see that you are finally settled - and life is starting to get into a normal routine mode! Kind of jealous that school starts a week early for you! Tell Evan that I got a kiss from a Gorilla at the Knoxville Zoo - be thankful that the monkey only got your ice cream cone (by the way - why do the majority of your posts mention ice cream?!?)
    Miss you all!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete