Bloom Where You Are Planted!!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Making Friends...

Funny window display! Things related to drinking, 'boobies' (as the kids would say), etc... are much more prevalent and liberal here!
Evan's pick of room if we decide on the 2nd/middle floor instead of 3rd flr flat. The window and the all wood ceiling is beautiful.
"Dining Room"... another futbal room for the Smith house? (probably not with that chandelier!)


Front of Linneplatz Flat... you can see the 2nd/middle floor awesome terrace and the 3rd floor smaller terrace but rounded room (picture from yesterday)
Quick update because I am tired tonight :)!! We went back to Linneplatz and decided on the way there we should consider the middle floor more because it has a great terrace and a bit of a garden (yard). We don't want to maintain the garden, but would LOVE the terrace. Also, Eric doesn't fit very well in the 3rd floor showers. Anyway... we are negotiating and figuring on what we can afford etc... We should have it decided upon by tomorrow night (hopefully) and the lease agreement in process. There are pros and cons for both - and we like them both a lot.
Before and after our flat appointment, we went to local parks near this flat. Big, beautiful parks with pools, soccer fields, playground equipment etc... The equipment is so different from anything in America and so it is very new and fun. The kids made a few new friends which is great. Julia was asking girls how old they were in German - so cute. She ran around with another girl that only spoke Turkish... I told her to just smile, laugh and point... it worked well and they had a blast!

Evan hung out and played soccer with a 13 year old (not much taller than Evan though!) that is a Syrian living in Vienna his whole life. He speaks 4 languages (does America have it wrong or what?!) and was so nice. He taught us some things about local soccer/fusbal and so we have some figuring out to do with the kids soccer soon.
It was great to see the kids try their German and they were in great need of some playtime with other children besides themselves. I actually shed a tear (I KNOW I KNOW, those that know me well are not surprised!!:)) seeing them interact and thinking "this is a huge reason why we moved here". So this was a great day.



2 comments:

  1. Yea! So glad the kids are having fun and making friends. This experience will change them forever - they'll have a broader worldview and will be so much more well-rounded, I'm guessing. I wish our kids learned a second language starting in elementary school like they do in many other countries.

    The new place looks so inviting! It's great that it is so near parks with playground equipment, too, because that will mean more friends, I'm sure! Glad you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That place looks GORGEOUS!! I hope you really get that 3rd floor flat. What a place to call home for awhile!
    I'm glad the kids had a chance to interact with some other kids. What a great experience!

    ReplyDelete